- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:19:18 +0000: Knowing When to Ask for Help - Retirement Living
By Lauren Searson It is not always easy to ask for help. For some, this stems from a desire to maintain an independent lifestyle or a hesitancy at the thought of burdening others. Linda and Chuck Holliman experienced this firsthand when their parents faced health difficulties later in life. What they learned, thanks to the support of Old Dominion Home Care, is just how beneficial a home care service can be for all parties involved when it comes to security […]
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:02:13 +0000: An Inspiring Collaboration - Retirement Living
By Lauren Searson It is often said that it only takes one person to make a difference. So what happens when four proactive women at the Quadrangle, a continuing care community (CCRC) in Haverford, Pa., come together to help a local charter school and children’s chorus? A collaboration that has not only inspired their peers, but has had positive effects on the surrounding community. For Joan May and Pat Eames, it all started with a guest speaking engagement at the […]
- Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:19:44 +0000: Living Green - Retirement Living
By Christy Brudin Going green has never been more in. Living green, on the other hand, is not a fashion statement. It is about making genuine and pervasive lifestyle changes to protect and preserve natural resources. Living green comes naturally for the residents of White Horse Village, a 96-acre continuing care retirement community in Newtown Square, Pa. The community’s bucolic setting attracts retirees who love spending time outside – from amateur gardeners to committed conservationists. With so many nature lovers […]
- Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:20:43 +0000: Leading the Good Life - Retirement Living
By Christy Brudin Gladys Hane is leading the good life—and leading is certainly the operative word in that statement. She is the president of her church’s chapter of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. She is also the president of the Association of Virginian Residents at the continuing care retirement community in Fairfax, Va., that she calls home. Located on 32 wooded acres, The Virginian offers comprehensive healthcare for seniors, from independent living to assisted living to long-term nursing care. The […]
- Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:57:59 +0000: Care and Companionship - Retirement Living
By: Christy Brudin With the help of her caregiver from OldDominion Home Care, Sandy Kabat is able to continue living in the house she has called home for 47 years. (Pictured are Sandy Kabat (right) and her caregiver Nydia Piraquive) When Bob and Sandy Kabat bought their house in Northern Virginia, it was still under construction. Through the years, the couple worked hard to make what was a nondescript foundation into a beautiful family home. That was nearly five decades ago. Sandy, now […]
- Sat, 04 Mar 2017 12:00:27 +0000: The (Mostly) Safe Golf Cart - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
Golf carts are ubiquitous in retirement communities. But the slow-moving vehicles are also largely unregulated.
- Mon, 20 Feb 2017 02:30:32 +0000: When Retirement Comes With a Daily Dose of Cannabis - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
Older Americans are increasingly turning to pot to treat their aches and pains. The trend raises questions about effectiveness, safety and accessibility.
- Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:00:03 +0000: In the Dementia Unit, Cupid’s at the Table - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
Time spent together over the grapefruit, the grilled cheese, the tilapia can be the crux of real companionship.
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 21:28:38 +0000: New York Times Retirement Video Project - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
Share video of the stories you’ve found in retirement communities
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:55:58 +0000: Seniors Welcome New, Battery-Powered Friends - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
Cutting-edge innovations are set to upend some of the constants of growing old.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: So Mom Wants to Remarry? Dealing with Love and... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Late life marriages by an elderly family member can create tension. Is it your business to meddle? Yes and no. Here are things to consider and actions to take.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: 22 Awesome Activities for Nursing Homes - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
An individualized, well though out activities program is at the heart of a quality life for residents in nursing homes or assisted living residences. Activities is not just about bingo and watching television. In fact, activity programs can be quite creative and stimulating for the mind. And the health and well-being benefits of a good program are becoming more and more documented. In short, this stuff works.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Measuring Nursing Home Satisfaction - My... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
In this article we look at Nursing Home Satisfaction measured through the company My InnerView.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Technology Can Help Family Caregivers-Here Are... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Technology is critical to those needing long-term care. It can deliver quality care to seniors and provide peace of mind for family caregivers.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Music Programs for Seniors Stimulate Communicat... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Innovative music programs for seniors that empowers people to emerge from the isolation imposed by Alzheimer’s disease.
- Thu, 03 Aug 2017 20:40:12 +0000: What Medicare Plans Does Premera Blue Cross of Washington Offer? - Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment – Medicare.com
If you’re a resident of Washington enrolled in the Medicare program, or about to be eligible for Medicare benefits, you may be interested in the plans offered by Premera Blue Cross. Here’s a brief rundown on the Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans Premera Blue Cross offers. Plan availability may vary throughout the state. Medicare Advantage...
- Sat, 08 Jul 2017 00:06:14 +0000: What is Respite Care? Tips for Caregivers - Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment – Medicare.com
If you’re a caregiver – whether it’s for your husband, wife, Mom, Dad, or another loved one – there may be times when the stress may start to get to you. You may be able to take a break now and then. Read on to find out about respite care. What is respite care? Respite...
The post What is Respite Care? Tips for Caregivers appeared first on Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment - Medicare.com.
- Sat, 08 Jul 2017 00:02:40 +0000: How do I file an appeal if my prescription medication isn’t covered by my Medicare health plan? - Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment – Medicare.com
Under the Medicare program, you may purchase coverage for prescription medications in one of two ways: through a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan, or through a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan to go alongside your Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) benefits. If you are enrolled in one of these two programs...
- Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:56:47 +0000: What does a formulary in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan mean? - Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment – Medicare.com
Medicare requires that every private insurance company approved to offer Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans provide a certain minimum level of coverage. However, the individual companies have some flexibility in deciding which prescription drugs they will cover and how much they will charge for each. This list of covered prescription drugs and pricing policies...
- Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:53:38 +0000: How to file for Medicare appeals - Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment – Medicare.com
If you are a Medicare beneficiary, you have certain rights under the program, which include the right to file a grievance or request an appeal of a decision made about your coverage. Here’s what you need to know about the process. What is the difference between Medicare appeals and grievances? Some people use these terms interchangeably, but...
The post How to file for Medicare appeals appeared first on Medicare Information, Help, and Plan Enrollment - Medicare.com.