- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:19:18 +0000: Knowing When to Ask for Help - Retirement Living
By Lauren Searson It is not always easy to ask for help. For some, this stems from a desire to maintain an independent lifestyle or a hesitancy at the thought of burdening others. Linda and Chuck Holliman experienced this firsthand when their parents faced health difficulties later in life. What they learned, thanks to the support of Old Dominion Home Care, is just how beneficial a home care service can be for all parties involved when it comes to security […]
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:02:13 +0000: An Inspiring Collaboration - Retirement Living
By Lauren Searson It is often said that it only takes one person to make a difference. So what happens when four proactive women at the Quadrangle, a continuing care community (CCRC) in Haverford, Pa., come together to help a local charter school and children’s chorus? A collaboration that has not only inspired their peers, but has had positive effects on the surrounding community. For Joan May and Pat Eames, it all started with a guest speaking engagement at the […]
- Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:19:44 +0000: Living Green - Retirement Living
By Christy Brudin Going green has never been more in. Living green, on the other hand, is not a fashion statement. It is about making genuine and pervasive lifestyle changes to protect and preserve natural resources. Living green comes naturally for the residents of White Horse Village, a 96-acre continuing care retirement community in Newtown Square, Pa. The community’s bucolic setting attracts retirees who love spending time outside – from amateur gardeners to committed conservationists. With so many nature lovers […]
- Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:20:43 +0000: Leading the Good Life - Retirement Living
By Christy Brudin Gladys Hane is leading the good life—and leading is certainly the operative word in that statement. She is the president of her church’s chapter of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. She is also the president of the Association of Virginian Residents at the continuing care retirement community in Fairfax, Va., that she calls home. Located on 32 wooded acres, The Virginian offers comprehensive healthcare for seniors, from independent living to assisted living to long-term nursing care. The […]
- Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:57:59 +0000: Care and Companionship - Retirement Living
By: Christy Brudin With the help of her caregiver from OldDominion Home Care, Sandy Kabat is able to continue living in the house she has called home for 47 years. (Pictured are Sandy Kabat (right) and her caregiver Nydia Piraquive) When Bob and Sandy Kabat bought their house in Northern Virginia, it was still under construction. Through the years, the couple worked hard to make what was a nondescript foundation into a beautiful family home. That was nearly five decades ago. Sandy, now […]
- Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:01:18 +0000: Resort-Style Living for Graying Boomers - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
As the population in the New York area ages, developers are hoping to attract people 55 and older with new communities that have a country-club vibe.
- Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:10:01 +0000: Where Driverless Cars Brake for Golf Carts - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
The start-up Voyage is testing its self-driving taxi service in a gated community of about 4,000 residents where the average age is 76.
- Sun, 17 Sep 2017 00:30:32 +0000: Nursing Home Deaths Prompt New Rules by Florida Governor - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
They will require nursing homes and assisted living facilities to have generators that can keep comfortable temperatures for four days after power loss.
- Fri, 08 Sep 2017 18:58:06 +0000: Long a Refuge for the Elderly, Florida Is Now a Place of Danger - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
In a state where one in five residents is over 65, caring for older residents is one of the main challenges in planning for Hurricane Irma as it heads toward Florida.
- Mon, 04 Sep 2017 22:21:50 +0000: How I Keep the Topic of Aging Fresh - Retirement Communities and Assisted Living
The Times’s New Old Age columnist explains how she approaches writing about the elderly — and the effects her columns have had.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: So Mom Wants to Remarry? Dealing with Love and... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Late life marriages by an elderly family member can create tension. Is it your business to meddle? Yes and no. Here are things to consider and actions to take.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: 22 Awesome Activities for Nursing Homes - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
An individualized, well though out activities program is at the heart of a quality life for residents in nursing homes or assisted living residences. Activities is not just about bingo and watching television. In fact, activity programs can be quite creative and stimulating for the mind. And the health and well-being benefits of a good program are becoming more and more documented. In short, this stuff works.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Measuring Nursing Home Satisfaction - My... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
In this article we look at Nursing Home Satisfaction measured through the company My InnerView.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Technology Can Help Family Caregivers-Here Are... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Technology is critical to those needing long-term care. It can deliver quality care to seniors and provide peace of mind for family caregivers.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:15:17 +0000: Music Programs for Seniors Stimulate Communicat... - About.com Senior Care: Most Popular Articles
Innovative music programs for seniors that empowers people to emerge from the isolation imposed by Alzheimer’s disease.